- The main advantage is the cost of the insert take for
example a half inch square positive milling insert in a silicon nitride base
composite material, average cost for this stye of insert is about $14.00
each.Regrind cost of this insert is approximately $2.40 the insert is downsized
by .010 and all lands are replaced.Thickness of the insert remains the
- If your machining operation is milling as in the example
above there has to be in some cases a altering of the milling cutter to allow
for the smaller insert inscribed circle.
- If your machining operation is turning, a toolholder has
to be modified also so the insert will seat properly in the pocket.
- The advantages far out weigh the disadvantages,when
taken the relative cost of ceramic base materials.
- The average cost to modify a 6" milling cutter to
accommodate the change of the insert inscribed circle is approximately
- In turning it is better to have a toolholder built to
accept the reground insert.Cost of a 1" square toolholder is approximately
$50.00 and Erie Industrial can do all of these services.
Please call us at (814) 452-3231, (800) 999-0575
If you prefer you can Fax us at (814) 456-7176