REAMING – EXCESSIVE REAMER WEAR OR BREAKAGE:
The following is a list of items to consider that may adversely affect reamer life or in some cases, damage the reamer.
- Misalignment creates a bell mouth condition and premature wear.
- Lack of chip space in the flutes.
- Inconsistent material condition.
- Dirt or burs in the holding collets or spindle.
- Over or underfeeding/speeding.
- Lack of proper lubrication.
- Bottoming out in blind holes.
- Leaving too little/too much stock to remove.
- Poor hole quality.
- Improper regrinding.
- Careless handling of the reamer.
- Reamer chatter.
- Lack of rigidity of the set-up.
- Wrong reamer design for the application.